Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Have I been in a Coma?

Have I been in a Coma? I woke up today and that thought crossed my mind… I have a vague recollection of September and October, but here we are in the second week in November and I barely remember the previous 2 months.  How did I go from lounging by the pool to starting my holiday shopping?

Visit with Tracey in October

The truth is that between school, work, and well, living, I let time slip right past me without giving it a second thought.  Now there were of course some highlights during those couple of months that passed me by in a dream-like state such as finishing the last class of my graduate school career (can I get an Amen?), a long overdue visit from my college BFF Tracey, honing in on my extreme couponing skills (this is a tremendous time-suck by the way), Oprah’s life classes, and getting a new car.   
  

~ SIDE STORY~  The day I bought my new Prius a one Mr. Joe Theismann came into the dealership and actually came over to talk to me while they were getting my car ready.  We had a lovely discussion about how much he likes his Toyota Sequoia and true to form I experienced a virulent case of diarrhea of the mouth, informing him that all I see when I look at him is his leg snapped 90 degrees in the wrong direction which makes “my butt pucker”…. I am sure he can’t wait for his next visit to Frederick to enjoy some high-brow conversation with the locals. ~END SIDE STORY (but begin my mother's shame)~

Anyway, I fear that unless I snap out of my zombie-like existence before I know it I will have lumbered my way through the holidays without taking the time to enjoy them.  I have been living a life of a giant to-do list, as soon as I check one thing off I move on to the next without taking a breath. I love the holidays, especially decorating.  I can’t wait to put up the Christmas lights and decorate the Christmas Trees and as if having 3 trees in my house isn’t already enough I even decorate the Christmas trees in our 2 Maryland offices with the ornaments I purchased in the company’s colors to further my holiday merriment (Shawn especially is grateful for this otherwise he knows I would have a tree in every room of our house!) Most of all, I look forward to sending out our holiday cards with the Siefers’ family newsletter.  I usually have a stack ready for the mail the day after Thanksgiving. 
SeraCare's Holiday Trees 2010

This year, I don’t know if I will have the motivation to go all out on decorating, and my cards might not make it to the post office until the first week of December, but that is ok. The last thing I want to do is turn Christmas into a chore and suffer from the Grinch-itis that plagues so many during this time.  Even if I only put up one tree I’ll still be jolly because at the end of the day as long as I have a warm mug of spiced cider and my John Denver and the Muppets CD I have all the Christmas spirit I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment